[Rd] Licence for datasets in a R-package

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 18:54:49 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> If you are not distributing the package to anyone else, you can ignore the
> warning about the bad license field.
>
> If you plan to distribute it on a public repository, you should ask the
> policies of the repository to find out what to do about this. CRAN policies
> are listed at http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html.  There's
> a link from there to the list of acceptable licenses, and it includes some
> CC licenses.
>
> If some parts of the package are licensed one way and others are licensed in
> another way, you'll probably need a COPYRIGHTS file to describe it.

In practice, CRAN maintainers do not allow multiple licenses for parts
of the same package. At least they did not for my package a couple of
months ago.

> Other repositories (e.g. Bioconductor, Github) presumably have their own
> policies on this, but I don't know where to find those.

At Github, they do not care, you can do whatever you want (as long as
it is legal, I guess).

Gabor

[...]