[Rd] single quotes in strings, example block

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Jul 31 13:23:00 CEST 2014

On Jul 31, 2014, at 4:55 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/07/2014, 4:27 AM, Adrian Dușa wrote:
>> Dear R-devel,
>>
>> In the example block of the documentation for a package, I need to use
>> a single quote in a string:
>>
>>    foo <- "Don't know"
>>
>> After building the package, it gets printed as:
>>
>>    foo <- "Dont know"
>
> I don't see this.  Can you give more details, i.e. R version, how you
> printed it, etc.?
>
> It may be that you're not using an ascii single quote character, your
> editor has slipped in something else.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

>> I read the "Writing R Extensions" and "Parsing Rd files" from top to
>> bottom, but didn't find any solution.
>>
>> Using \verb{} doesn't help, as:
>> Tag \verb is invalid in a \examples block
>>
>> Neither \sQuote doesn't help, as:
>> '\s' is an unrecognized escape in character string starting ""Don\s"
>>
>> I found the only macros which are interpreted within text are \var and
>> \link ... therefore I am stuck.
>>
>> Any hint to other documentation I might read?
>> Thank you,
>> Adrian

I may not have had enough coffee yet this morning, but might this be related to the use of Fancy/Smart quotes?

If so and you are using a text editor that supports them, you may have to disable them when working with this kind of output.

Alternatively, or perhaps in addition, take a look at ?options and adjust 'useFancyQuotes' as may be required. I frequently have to set it to FALSE when using Sweave.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz