[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sun Jun 1 03:54:09 CEST 2014

I mentioned in my original post that Sweave()/knit()/... can be
considered as the "new" source(). They can do the same thing as
source() does. I agree that fully evaluating the code is valuable, but
it is not a problem since the weave functions do fully evaluate the
code. If there is a reason for why source() an R script is preferred,
I guess it is users' familiarity with .R instead of .Rnw/.Rmd/...,
however, I guess it would be painful to read the pure R script tangled
from the source document without the original narratives.

So what do we really lose if we turn off tangle? We lose an R script
as a derivative from the source document, but we do not lose the code
evaluation.

Regards,
Yihui
--