[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 00:03:59 CEST 2014

On 03/06/2014, 4:38 AM, Yihui Xie wrote:
> Well, there is still misunderstanding: there is nothing that really
> stops you from tangling the vignettes, and I do not disagree that
> tangle can be useful in certain cases. I'm talking about whether
> package authors _must_ tangle all their vignettes,

Yes, there is a misunderstanding.  You don't need to manually tangle all
your vignettes, R will do it for you.

  or leave some to
> users to run Stangle() or knitr::purl() on the vignettes if they
> really want the potentially broken R script.

If the script is broken, the vignette is broken.  The package author
should fix it.

  The prerequisite of this
> question is that the current tangle functions ignore inline
> expressions, and it is not totally clear whether this is good or bad.

It may not be clear whether it was a good design decision, but it is the
Sweave design.  Nowadays there's nothing stopping you from writing a
non-Sweave driver that doesn't ignore them.

> The harm that you mentioned was not from disabling tangle, but from
> the tangle function, or if you insist the current tangle function
> should be what we expect, then the harm came from the improper use of
> inline expressions.

The latter.

> I do not think it is trivial to improve the tangle function so that it
> can generate an R script that fully reproduce what was done in weave.

Now you are being nitpicky.

Duncan Murdoch