[Rd] Is it possible to make install.packages compile source code on Unix but use shipped binary on Windows?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 13 18:07:41 CEST 2014

On 13/06/2014 11:10, Renaud Gaujoux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to make install.packages install a source package by
> compiling it on Unix, but skip compilation and use a pre-built windows
> binary (shipped in exec/) if installing on Windows?

A 'pre-built windows binary' of what?

You can easily ship a DLL or .exe for use on Windows: just make use of
configure.win and/or Makefile.win.  If you have a Makefile.win it will
override the normal procedures for directory src.  OTOH, shipping
something in exec will be installed everwhere.

Watch out for sub-architectures: 'Windows' is in fact two platforms.  We
have over the years seen a lot of problem with people shipping 64-bit
Windows binaries: 32-bit Windows does not recognize those.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk