[Rd] what is the current correct repos structure for mac osx binaries?

Skye Bender-deMoll skyebend at skyeome.net
Fri Jun 13 23:41:35 CEST 2014

Dear R-developers,

As part of our package building process, we maintain internal CRAN-like
repositories of our packages.  This has worked pretty well, but we are
running into issues with R 3.1 and OSX mavericks.

Specifically, machines with osx mavericks seem to, by default, expect
packages to be located under a 'mavericks' sub-directory, but this is
not the location reported when generating a mac.binary appropriate
contrib url.

 >contrib.url('foo')
[1] "foo/bin/macosx/mavericks/contrib/3.1/"

If I ask where the mac binaries are on a linux machine (AND on mac
mavericks machines) I get

 >contrib.url('foo',type='mac.binary')
[1] "foo/bin/macosx/mavericks/contrib/3.1/"

But the OSX machine gives an error and fails to locate the packages if
they are located at foo/bin/macosx/contrib/3.1/

So where are the mac binaries supposed to located in a CRAN-like
repository so that they can be installed on a mac with the default
install command?  And is there a way for a non-mac machine (i.e. our
linux deploy server) to determine that directory other than
contrib.url(,type='mac.binary) ?

thanks for your help,
  -skye