[Rd] internal string comparison (Scollate)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:12:29 CET 2014

On 14-03-27 3:01 PM, Kevin Ushey wrote:
> I too think it would be useful if R exported some version of its
> string sorting routines, since sorting strings while respecting
> locale, and doing so in a portable fashion while respecting the user's
> environment, is not trivial. R holds a fast, portable, well-tested
> solution, and I think package developers would be very appreciative if
> some portion of this was exposed at the C level.

It does.  You can put your strings in an R STRSXP vector, and call the R
sort function on it.

The usual objection to constructing an R expression and evaluating it is
that it is slow, but if you are talking about sorting, the time spent in
the sort is likely to dominate the time spent in the setup.

> If not `Scollate`, then perhaps other candidates could be the more
> generic `sortVector`, or the more string-specific (and NA-respecting)
> `scmp`.

Evaluating an R expression gives you sortVector.

I can see an argument for Scollate being useful (sorting isn't the only
reason to compare strings), but I can see arguments against exposing it
too.  Take a look at the source:  it needs to be used carefully.  In
particular, it can return a 0 for unequal strings, and users are likely
to get messed up by that, or to submit bogus bug reports.  And it's not
impossible to work around: if you can collect the universe of strings to
compare in advance, then just use order() to convert them to integer
values, and compare those.

Duncan Murdoch