[Rd] Error: C stack usage is too close to the limit

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 29 00:13:34 CET 2014

On 28/03/2014 21:55, Florian Burkart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using my own C++ plugin for a while.
>
> On a new machine I now keep getting the
>
> C stack usage is too close to the limit
>
> error. I played with it and it appears to come after I printed a fixed
> number of text to R via Rprintf (not from the main thread).
>
> Didn't happen on the old machine. Old version was 2.14. Now on 3.0.3.
>
> Not sure whats going on.

Did you read 'Writing R Extensions' about the support for threads?  E.g.

'Calling any of the R API from threaded code is ‘for experts only’: they
will need to read the source code to determine if it is thread-safe.  In
particular, code which makes use of the stack-checking mechanism must
not be called from threaded code.'

It reads like that is what you did.