[Rd] How to test if an object/argument is "parse tree" - without evaluating it?

Kevin Ushey kevinushey at gmail.com
Thu May 1 23:08:57 CEST 2014

Henrik,

If I understand correctly, you want something along the lines of
(following your example):

    foo <- function(expr) {
      if (!is.language(expr)) substitute(expr)
      else expr
    }

    ## first example
    expr0 <- foo({ x <- 1 })
    expr1 <- foo(expr0)
    stopifnot(identical(expr1, expr0))

    ## second
    expr2 <- foo(foo(foo(foo(expr0))))
    stopifnot(identical(expr2, expr0))

Hadley's guide on NSE + language elements in R
(http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Computing-on-the-language.html,
http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Expressions.html) may be helpful here.

Cheers,
Kevin