[Rd] precedence (was 'historical NA question')

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Wed May 7 18:16:18 CEST 2014

On 5/7/14, 5:21 AM, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. wrote:
> Hadley asked about the Blue book; my shelf still has the earlier brown book
>     Becker and Chambers, 1984, S: An interactive environment for data
> analysis and graphics.

Historically interesting, but there was never a guarantee that Version 3
of S (the "blue book") was back-compatible with earlier versions.  We
gave users some help in "getting on the road" to converting, that was
all (see Appendix 4 to the blue book).

For that one brief moment, we felt free to innovate.

John