[Rd] precedence (was 'historical NA question')

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed May 7 23:17:35 CEST 2014

On 05/07/2014 12:52 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On May 7, 2014, at 3:37 PM, Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org> wrote:
>
>> No big deal. These things can be tricky:
>>
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2006-January/036022.html
>>
>> Sorry I couldn't resist ;-)
>>

> Yeah, but that's just yet another trip down the rabbit hole - why is -2 parsed as `-`(2) and not a single constant?

You wouldn't want -2 to be parsed as a single constant exactly for
the reason that you wouldn't want -2^2 to return 4. Having -2^2 treated
the same way as -x^2 is a sane feature.

> Is there a way to express a negative constant in R? Hmm…

Maybe some people have some use cases for this (speed ?).
Personally I don't. Of course it would require a special syntax,
something that would probably be as ugly and confusing as the
L suffix used for integer constants (L means long int in C).

H.

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791
Fax:    (206) 667-1319