[Rd] precedence (was 'historical NA question')

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed May 7 23:55:14 CEST 2014

On May 7, 2014, at 5:41 PM, Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org> wrote:

> On 05/07/2014 02:01 PM, peter dalgaard wrote:

>>> Yeah, but that's just yet another trip down the rabbit hole - why is -2 parsed as `-`(2) and not a single constant? Is there a way to express a negative constant in R? Hmm…
>>>

>> It's painful, but
>>
>>> bquote(.(-2)^2)
>> -2^2
>>> eval(bquote(.(-2)^2))
>> [1] 4
>>> bquote(.(-2)^2)[[2]]
>> [1] -2
>>> mode(bquote(.(-2)^2)[[2]])
>> [1] "numeric"
>>
>> The difficulty is that the tokenizer, which recognizes language elements before the parser goes to work on the grammatical structure, is unable to distinguish the -2 in "-2 + 2" from the one in "-2 ^ y".
>
> Are you saying that the tokenizer could be made smarter and recognize
> "-2" as a token in "-2 ^ y", just because you didn't put a space between
> "-" and "2"? So in "-2 ^ y" it would be token, but not in "- 2^y".
> An therefore precedence would now depend on whether there is a space
> after the minus or not, or something like that? I'm confused.

Nope, precedence would not change at all. "-2" and "- 2" are two different things - in case you didn't realize that spaces are important, try "a<-2" vs "a< -2". So, again, if -2 is a value then there is no precedence issue, since you have only operator in  "-2 ^ y" namely "^". In "- 2 ^ y" you have two operators, so precedence matters.

Cheers,
Simon