[Rd] citEntry handling of encoded URLs

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:38:12 CEST 2014

On 23/05/2014 8:35 AM, Achim Zeileis wrote:
> On Thu, 22 May 2014, Martin Morgan wrote:
>
> > The following citEntry includes a url with %3A and other encodings
> >
> > citEntry(entry="article",
> >         title = "Software for Computing and Annotating Genomic Ranges",
> >         author = personList( as.person("Michael Lawrence" )),
> >         year = 2013,
> >         journal = "{PLoS} Computational Biology",
> >         volume = "9",
> >         issue = "8",
> >         doi = "10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003118",
> >         url =
> > "http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1003118",
> >         textVersion = "Lawrence M..." )
> >
> > Evaluating this as R code doesn't parse correctly and generates a warning
>
> The citEntry (or bibentry) itself is parsed without problem. Some printing
> styles cause the warning, specifically when the Rd parser is used for
> formatting. Depending on how you want to print it, the warning doesn't
> occur though. Using bibentry() directly, we can do:
>
> b <- bibentry("Article",
>     title = "Software for Computing and Annotating Genomic Ranges",
>     author = "Michael Lawrence and others",
>     year = "2013",
>     journal = "PLoS Comptuational Biology",
>     volume = "9",
>     number = "8",
>     doi = "10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003118",
>     url = "http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1003118",
>     textVersion = "Lawrence M et al. (2013) ..."
> )
>
> Then the default
>
> print(b)
>
> issues a warning because the Rd parser thinks that the % are comments.
> However,
>
> print(b, style = "BibTeX")
> print(b, style = "citation")
>
> don't issue warnings and also produce output that one might expect.
>
> > A work-around is, apparently, to quote the %, \\%3A etc., but is this the
> > intention?
>
> In that case the default print(b) yields the desired output without
> warning but print(b, style = "BibTeX") or print(b, style = "citation") are
> possibly not in the desired format. I'm not sure though how the different
> BibTeX style files actually handle the URLs. I think some .bst files
> handle the "url" field verbatim (i.e., don't need escaping) while others
> treat it as text (i.e., need escaping). Personally, I would hence avoid
> the problem and only use the DOI URL here as this will be robust across
> BibTeX styles.
>
> Nevertheless it is not ideal that there is a discrepancy between the
> different printing styles. I think currently this can only be avoided if
> custom macros are employed. But Duncan might be able to say more about
> this. A similar situation occurs if you use commands that are not part of
> the Rd markup, e.g.

I'd go further than "not ideal", I think we need to define what kind of
markup is permissible in this context.  If it needs to be Rd markup,
then the default print method should be fixed to hide it (and \mathcal
should not be allowed); if it needs to be plain text, then some escaping
should be done.