[Rd] Latex errors (build on windows)

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sat May 24 21:13:03 CEST 2014

You do not need to feel so bad. No one was born an expert (even an
expert may not be able to find the relevant information in a
subsection of an appendix in a certain manual among numerous
hyperlinks). The sky is not going to falling down, and the earth is
not going to explode just because you do not know how to install a
LaTeX package. I'm pretty sure you are not the only one who was
puzzled by inconsolata.sty, and I believe this will continue to
confuse more in the future.

Unless one has LaTeX vignettes, the Rd PDF manual is normally the only
place where LaTeX is required in an R Package. Personally I do not
think this LaTeX dependency is worth it, comparing the relatively
small gain and the great effort to learn LaTeX as well as the
toolchain. It will be nice if the PDF manual can be optional for CRAN
and R CMD check. Biologists, doctors, and other scientists may spend
their time on more valuable things than learning LaTeX. Just my 2
cents.

P.S. Just in case this should be misunderstood: 1. I do appreciate the
value of LaTeX; 2. I'm grateful to the effort that R core made in the
manuals; 3. There are people who are busy with test tubes and
bacteria, and they also need sleep.

Regards,
Yihui
--