[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri May 30 19:15:46 CEST 2014

I think there are several aspects to Yihue's post and some simple
workarounds/long solutions to the issues:

1. For the reasons argued, I would agree that 'R CMD check'
incorrectly assumes that tangled code script should be able to run
without errors.  Instead I think it should only check the syntax, i.e.
that it can be parsed without errors.  If not, then Sweave may have to
be redfined to clarify that \Sexpr{}/"inline" expressions must not
have "side effects".

2. For other (=non-Sweave) vignette builder packages, you can already
today define engines that do not tangle, think
%\VignetteEngine{knitr::knitr_no_tangle}.

3. Extending on this, I'd like to propose %\VignetteTangle{no} (and/or
false, FALSE, ...), which would tell the engine to not generate the
"tangle" script file.  Then it is up to the vignette engine to
acknowledge this or not, but at least we will have a standard across
engines rather that each of us come up with their own markup for this.
 You can also imagine that one support other types of settings, e.g.
%\VignetteTangle{all} to include also \Sexpr{} in the tangled output.

/Henrik