[Rd] Options that are local to the package that sets them

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sat Nov 1 01:16:22 CET 2014

You can put the following 3 objects, an environment and 2 functions
that access it, in any package that need some package-specific
storage (say your pkgB1 and pkgB2).
   .pkgLocalStorage <- new.env(parent = emptyenv())
   assignInPkgLocalStorage <- function(name, object) {
       .pkgLocalStorage[[name]] <- object
   }
   getFromPkgLocalStorage <- function(name, object) {
       .pkgLocalStorage[[name]]
   }
Leave the environment private and export the functions.  Then a user can
use them as
   pkgB1::assignInPkgLocalStorage("myPallete", makeAPallete(1,2,3))
   pkgB2::assignInPkgLocalStorage("myPallete", makeAPallete(5,6,7))
   pkgB1::getFromPkgLocalStorage("myPallete") # get the 1,2,3 pallete

If only one of pkgB1 and pkgB2 is loaded you can leave off the pkgBn::.

A package writer can always leave off the pkgBn:: as well.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com