[Rd] Citation if copying R base code

Peter Meissner retep.meissner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:57:52 CET 2014

Dear Listeners,

... also I read the CRAN policies and tried to solve those questions
myself I feel very much in the need of good advise ...

I am currently finishing a package that -- to solve some nasty problems
with dirty data -- uses its own as.Date() equivalent methods (i.e. its
own generic and methods).

Thereby, I shamelessly copied code from the as.Date() methods from the
base package and only made some minor adjustments.

For my main achievement was copy-pasting I feel obliged to cite the
efforts made by base package authors - do I, should I? Currently I only
use the help files to mention that the generic and its methods are
basically the same as as.Date(), except this and that.

And if yes how to do it best? What is the standard procedure here?
Should I include base package authors as contributors in DESCRIPTION???

Am I allowed to use MIT + file license with that or is it wrong to do so?

I appreciate any advise on these (I think important) but very confusing
matters of referencing and licensing.

Best, Peter

PS:
- My current description:
https://github.com/petermeissner/wikipediatrend/blob/master/DESCRIPTION

- the package specific as.Date() implementation:
https://github.com/petermeissner/wikipediatrend/blob/master/R/wp_date.R