[Rd] Citation if copying R base code

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 15:49:05 CET 2014

> Theoretically you could ask the copyright holder of that piece of code
> whether he/she/it allows you to use a different license. This brings up
> another question: who is formally the copyright holder of the R source code
> (and documentation)? The R Foundation, the individual who contributed the
> code in the first place, or someone else? You could certainly imagine a
> case where a piece of code was donated to R by someone, e.g. the code
> originates from a user-contributed package and has not been modified since.
> It may even be that that code was licensed under another license at the
> time.

Unless a contributor signs a contributor license agreement, the
copyright belongs to the original author.  I don't think that the
R-foundation is in the practice of requiring these, so the the
copyright of R itself will be a mismash of many different people. This
is can be seen as a good thing because it makes it impossible to
re-license code away from the GPL.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/