[Rd] organisation of packages & CRAN

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 20:06:56 CET 2014

Hi,

I think much of this is simply impossible to do. CRAN packages are
written and maintained by thousands of people, how are you planning to
convince them to reorganize their packages? Or even just rename them?
This obviously won't happen.

Btw. did you see 'CRAN Task Views'? That is one organizations of
packages into topics.

Personally, I don't think organization is the solution here. It is too
costly (i.e. too much work) to maintain, impossible to enforce. I
think, however, that a good search engine would definitely help.

FWIW there is a simple search engine here: http://metacran.github.io/search/
This ranks packages according to the number of reverse dependencies
(among other things), i.e. packages more often used by other packages
will be higher up in the list.

Ranking them according to downloads is also possible, but AFAIK only
one CRAN mirror gives out statistics about downloads, so you don't
really have the complete numbers there.

Disclaimer: I built the search engine above. There are obviously other
alternatives as well, e.g. http://rdocumentation.org, and
http://mran.revolutionanalytics.com/packages/ are the two I know.

Gabor