[Rd] organisation of packages & CRAN

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 22:56:53 CET 2014

  I"ve never looked to see if it differs among mirrors. I believe this is
just an internal log file that is produced according to the default Apache
(?) webserver configs on a Debian system -- I always
assumed it was generated separately for different servers, but it could
indeed be just a copy of the download stats for the central repository.  I
found about it when someone else pointed it out in some long-ago exchange
on an R mailing list.

   As far as I know it's essentially accidental that it exists and is
accessible -- if the CRAN maintainers decided to move it or cut off access
they could at any time.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > * download information _is_ available, unofficially, from some
> > mirrors other than the RStudio mirror: see
> > http://www.rpubs.com/bbolker/3750
>
> You mean the report_cran.html file? According to my quick check it is
> indeed available on some mirrors, but it also seems to be the same
> file, so it is probably mirrored from cran.r-project.org. Why does it
> show the (almost) last 56 days, btw.? How often is it updated? Can you
> have daily values? Older data? In general, do you know any
> documentation about this?
>
> G.
>
> [...]

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]