[Rd] Problem understanding behaviour of versionCheck for loadNamespace (and when versions for Imports packages are checked)

Geoff Lee geoff.lee99 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 01:38:43 CET 2014

Many thanks Duncan for the quick response.

A bug is a relief in a way. I've been digging my way deeper into this (and
learning more as I go) for several days now - but it is a diversion from (a
diversion from) my main goal :-(

Is there somewhere specific I should report or log the bug or will that
happen from this mailing-list automatically? (I have seen the Bug Tracking
link on the r-project page and followed that, but don't yet have a Bugzilla
account, nor know the precise mechanics and protocols for notifying a bug)

Geoff

PS Building package2 - via devtools::build('package2', binary = TRUE) does
check and insist that I have an appropriate version of the 'to be imported'
package1 installed in my .libPath().

It was only when I simulated a user who has and older version of the
Imported package1 (by overwriting the later version of package 1 with an
earlier version), then trying to load or attach package2 that the (failure
of the version checking) at loadNamespace time for package1 became apparent
(well apparentish after quite a bit of digging)