[Rd] Problem understanding behaviour of versionCheck for loadNamespace (and when versions for Imports packages are checked)

Geoff Lee geoff.lee99 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 02:25:02 CET 2014

Hi Duncan and others,

For the record I think I have pinned down what happens wrt checking the
version of an imported package.

In summary :

loadNamespace behaves as it ought to (once the discrepancy between the
documentation and reality of the versionCheck argument is taken into
account).

However (if packageA is the package to be imported) using the
"packageA::funA" idiom in packageB *instead* of using a NAMESPACE file with
either @import(package) or @importFrom(packageA, funA) seems to circumvent
the checking of whatever constraints on the version of packageA were given
in the packageB DESCRIPTION file.

I rather suspect this will fall into the category of "correct behaviour,
just not what I wanted) from the `::` function in this instance" rather than
a bug but I have recorded the behaviour, and made my toy examples available
as Bug 16094 on the R Bug reporting system.

Hoping this makes sense, and helps someone else later on down the track

Geoff

PS Along the way I had a problem with devtools and roxygen2 - it was my
error! I had a typo - a backtick ` when I should have had a single quote '
in a roxygen2 comment :-(