[Rd] How I() works in a formula

Lorenz, David lorenz at usgs.gov
Fri Oct 3 14:55:28 CEST 2014

Joris,
  Basically, the I() function, as it is used in a regression model, allows
the user to perform arithmetic operations on a variable that would
otherwise be interpreted by the formula. It is not trapped as a special
function as Error() is in aov().
  There may be other applications where the class "AsIs" is needed, so
there are support functions for subscripting, formatting, printing and so
forth.
Dave