[Rd] S4 Method Dispatch for Class Defined as Attribute

Dario Strbenac dstr7320 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Tue Oct 7 10:00:10 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am writing an interface to some functions from the CRAN package pamr, which is poorly written.

I have a S4 method I declared with setMethod. I'd like to provide a signature of "pamrtrained" which is the class of object that training creates. The last two lines of code of pamr.train are :

    class(junk) = "pamrtrained"
    junk

How can I dispatch on these kinds of objects, other than making the signature be "ANY" and checking the class inside the S4 method ? Might these kinds of class assignments be deprecated in a future version of R ?

Dario Strbenac
PhD Student
University of Sydney
Camperdown NSW 2050