[Rd] is.whole()

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Oct 28 13:44:20 CET 2014

Martin,
   I can't imagine using such a function myself, the reason being that as Bill and Duncan
point out, the correct answer depends on the situation.
   But given the regular reappearance of this topic, I think that perhaps creation of your
function is a good idea, largely to function as a repository for the knowlege.  If one
takes that view, then perhas the function has two optional arguments: "case" and
"tolerance".  The first would choose a scenario of "exact", "numeric", "count", etc, where
exact refers to Duncan's case, numeric to your default, and count to Bill's  a+1 > a.  The
second argument would be rarely used.
    The primary point of the function would be the "Details" section of its manual page.
Whenver the issue comes up the response could then be "see the is.whole() function and its
documentation".

Terry T.