[Rd] Unable to compile R 3.1.3 under GCC 4.1.2 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Sep 1 22:53:57 CEST 2014

On 1 September 2014 at 12:58, Titus Barik wrote:
| I'm unable to compile R under an HPC system (which like many HPC systems
| doesn't always have the latest and greatest software). The version of
| GCC is 4.1.2 under CentOS 5.7.

With all due respect, that gcc release is from Feb 2007 [1].

You are presumably not trying to stick to the corresponding R release --
which would be R 2.4.1 or R 2.5.0 as of Apr 2007.  So consider an upgrade of
other pieces of the system too, if you can.

It is not entirely fair to expect current releases of software to work with a
toolchains from 7 1/2 years ago.

In the future, containerization will make that easier, but you are probably
also running a 2.4 kernel so ...

All that said, I feel your pain.  But if you manage to download and configure
from a tarball for R, consider doing the same for gcc/g77/g++ and friends.

Dirk

[1] https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.1.2/

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org