[Rd] R CMD check and missing imports from base packages

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 21:51:36 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>
wrote:
[...]

> Yes, people can do this already. But why not help them with a NOTE if they
>> don't know that this is good practice, or they just simply forget?
>>

> I suspect the reason for this is historical:  at the time that the current
> warning was added, it would have flagged too many packages as problematic.
> People do complain when base R makes changes that force them to change
> their packages.  Perhaps that decision should be reconsidered now.

Thanks for considering this. I definitely think that with the number of
packages increasing, sooner or later this will be a (more) serious issue.
In some cases it is also hard(er) to work around with detaching and
re-attaching packages.

I think a NOTE would be probably enough, because probably a lot of packages
have these issues.

Also, people would not need to change their package _now_. Only if and when
they submit new versions. But that's CRAN's decision, not mine.

Gabor

[...]

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]