[Rd] R CMD check and missing imports from base packages

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 22:39:47 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fredhutch.org>
wrote:

> On 04/28/2015 01:04 PM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:

[...]

> E.g. if package 'ggplot2' uses 'stats::density()', and package 'igraph'
>> also defines 'density()', and 'igraph' is on the search path, then
>> 'ggplot2' will call 'igraph::density()' instead of 'stats::density()'.
>>

> stats::density() is an S3 generic, so igraph would define an S3 method,
> right? And in general a developer would avoid masking a function in a base
> package, so as not to require the user to distinguish between
> stats::density() and igraph::density(). Maybe the example is not meant
> literally.

Yes, maybe this is not the best example. I would not go into the details
here, because they are not really important for the current discussion.

> Being able to easily flag non-imported, non-base symbols would definitely
> improve the robustness of package code, even if not helping the end user
> disambiguate duplicate symbols.

In 'non-base' I assume you mean the single base package.

Just to address the second part, I think the end-user does not have to deal
with this. (Unless it is buggy like it is now.) The fact that ggplot2 calls
density() is not the user's concern.

Gabor

[...]

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]