[Rd] enableJIT in Rprofile leads to 'not a proper evaluation environment' on startup

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 13 09:51:10 CEST 2015

    > A commenter on SO suggested that I copy my question to
    > R-devel http://stackoverflow.com/q/31972325/850781

Thank you, Sam.
{ Yes, asking here will still be seen by more R savvy people than SO}

    > I have had

    > --8<---------------cut
    > here---------------start------------->8---
    > library(compiler) compiler::enableJIT(3)
    > --8<---------------cut
    > here---------------end--------------->8---

    > in ~/.Rprofile for years; now that I upgraded to 3.2.1 I
    > get this on startup:

    > --8<---------------cut
    > here---------------start------------->8--- Error in
    > frameTypes(env) : not a proper evaluation environment
    > Calls: <Anonymous> -> <Anonymous> -> makeCenv -> structure
    > -> frameTypes
    >> q()
    > Warning message: restarting interrupted promise evaluation
    > --8<---------------cut
    > here---------------end--------------->8---

    > I don't see anything relevant in NEWS.

    > Replacing 3 with 2 in compiler::enableJIT(3) removes the
    > error.  However, I would prefer my loops to be compiled
    > too.

sure, but ...

    > Suggestions?

The most important suggestion for you:

PLEASE do upgrade R more often and/or occasionally install and
run "R-devel" (the development version of R; with daily snapshot
tarballs from (new URL) https://stat.ethz.ch/R/daily/

The above failure is due to a bogous commit to the development version
of R in January(!) ...
and is now fixed in R-devel .. will be fixed in R 3.2.2 patched
next week.. but is most probably not making it into R 3.2.2
which has been in code freeze, to be released tomorrow(!).

Martin Maechler,
ETH Zurich