[Rd] Multi-line comments in R

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Thu Aug 20 17:51:25 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Barry Rowlingson <
b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 5:16 AM, Nathan Esau <nesau at sfu.ca> wrote:
> > I was wondering why the decision was made long ago to never implement
> > multi-line comments in R. I feel there are several argument to be made
> for
> > why the R language should have multi-line comments.
> >
> > 1. Many programming languages (including some which are commonly used for
> > statistics, such as python, matlab and SAS) have this feature.
>
>  Python doesn't have a multi-line comment.
>
>  You can use triple-quoted strings in Python to quote a large chunk of
> text, which won't generate any bytecode and so has no executable
> effect:
>
> def foo(x)
>  y = x * 2
>  """
>  well what now
>  lets have a comment
>  """
>  return(y)
>
> A similar thing is possible in R:
>
>  foo = function(x){
>     "this is a test.
> where
> you can comment"
>     return(x*2)
> }
>
> However I don't know if this causes any executable effect - its
> possible R evaluates the string in some way.... Anyone want to test.

Well, my guess is that the string, when created, would be interned in the
global string cache. That's unlikely to have any real bearing on anything R
is doing, but it is technically an effect.

Also, in the script case/top-level-expression it would affect .Last.value,
I think, though not in the particular case you posted.

~G