[Rd] Build R on Haiku

Joe S unlikely.combination at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:55:10 CEST 2015

On 31 August 2015 at 15:21, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 14/08/2015 15:19, Joe S wrote:
>
>> Are there any checks I can do to the R binary to test if it works
>> properly?
>>

> This does not seem to be about the R binary, but about dynamically loaded
> modules.  (All those export lines are non-standard, BTW, and your output is
> not from an ab initio build so we don't know e.g. how tools.so was built.)
> The meat is

Yes, because etc/ldpaths doesn't get configured properly so I edited
manually. I should fix the configure script to identify all the environment
variables properly first. It may be causing problems further along.

> > Error in .Call(PS_sigs, 1L) :
> >    first argument must be a string (of length 1) or native symbol
> reference
>
> That comes from package tools, which contains the R code
>
> PS_sigs <- getDLLRegisteredRoutines("tools")[[c(".Call", "ps_sigs")]]
> SIGHUP <- .Call(PS_sigs, 1L)
>
> So, startup R from the top-level build directory with something like
>
> env R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL bin/R
>
> and at the prompt run
>
> dyn.load("src/library/tools/src/tools.so")
> getLoadedDLLs() # should include a line for tools
> getDLLRegisteredRoutines("tools")

Indeed, I got that far myself in the meantime.

> getLoadedDLLs()
                                   Filename Dynamic.Lookup
base                                   base          FALSE
tools /Store/d2/library/tools/libs/tools.so           TRUE

>getDLLRegisteredRoutines("tools")
data frame with 0 columns and 0 rows

> My guess is that does not list any symbols, in particular not ps_sigs.
>
> We can only speculate as to what went wrong (visibility issues?  Mapping
> symbols to u/case? ...).

For now I will keep digging into what dyn.load() is doing and why the
symbols are missing. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

> nm -g library/tools/libs/tools.so
00004178 B __bss_start