[Rd] Assistance much appreciated

Michael Felt aixtools at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:47:17 CET 2015

On 2015-12-17 18:56, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> Error: Line starting 'Package: tools ...' is malformed!
>
> These both do a loadNamespace("tools").
>
>> > Tools:::foobar()
>> Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'Tools'
>> > loadNamespace(tools)
>> Error in loadNamespace(tools) : object 'tools' not found
>
> Those are expected, and unrelated.
Actually, it is what helped me realize that the problem was with the
parsing of the call, rather than the arguments.

>> > loadNamespace("tools")
>> Error: Line starting 'Package: tools ...' is malformed!
>
> This shouldn't happen.  In a previous post you listed a long list of
> warnings about packages not being loaded; that's likely a serious
> problem, but I don't know if it is the cause or a consequence of this
> one.  Something is seriously wrong with the startup.  You could try
> debugging setup_Rmainloop in <src/main/main.c>.  to see if any
> warnings are being generated there.  There shouldn't be any.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

This is during make - so there is very little - and the messages was
because I was forgetting to set LC_ALL=CC before starting ./bin/R

The file I am looking at is src/main/dcf.c (where the message is
generated) - your file suggestion may be better - skipping over a few
bread crumbs so to speak.

More in my reply to Peter's comments.