[Rd] iterated lapply

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 26 20:16:32 CET 2015

Actually using local() might create some issues, though probably not
many. For the C implementation of lapply I would probably create a new
environment with a frame containing the binding for i and use that in
an eval call.  That wouldn't add another call frame, but it would
change the environment which could still bite something. I would want
to run any change like this over at least CRAN, maybe also BIOC, tests
to see if there are any issues before committing.

There are a few other places where the internal C code does calls to R
functions in a less that ideal way. apply() is also currently written
as a loop along the lines of the original lapply I showed. The
parallel constructs from snow all use lapply or apply, so any changes
there would be inherited; the mc functions are a bit more complicated
and may need a more careful look.

Overall it looks like we could use a new utility at both R and C level
for calling a function with already evaluated arguments and use this
in all relevant places (maybe called funcall or .Funcall or something
like that). I'll try look into this in the next few weeks.

Best,

luke