[Rd] libcurl support and curlGetHeaders warning message in R CMD check

Skye Bender-deMoll skyebend at skyeome.net
Tue Jan 27 22:09:31 CET 2015

Dear R devel,

Is libcurl support required to run R.devel, or is it optional?

I'm compiling R.devel on an older Debian machine  that only has libcurl
version 7.21.0

The R news file says

"
Sun, 25 Jan 2015
CHANGES IN R-devel NEW FEATURES

     Optional use of ‘libcurl’ (version 7.28.0 from Oct 2012 or later)
for Internet access (including on Windows):

CHANGES IN R-devel UTILITIES

     ‘R CMD check --as-cran’ checks existence and accessibility of URLs
in the ‘DESCRIPTION’ file and in the help files.
"

Which seems to suggest libcurl support is optional.   The build process
seems to correctly detect that I have an old version of libcurl

checking if libcurl version >= 7.28.0... no

 > capabilities('libcurl')
libcurl
   FALSE

But when I try to build any packages with R.devel (for pre-release
testing) I get lots and lots of Notes/errors like:

Found the following (possibly) invalid URLs: