[Rd] Mapping parse tree elements to tokens

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 20:47:40 CEST 2015

On 29/07/2015 2:30 PM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> Probably need a generic tree based on "ParseNode" objects that
> associate the line information with the symbol (for leaf nodes). As
> Duncan notes, it should be possible to gather that from the table.
>
> But it would be nice if there was an "expr" column in the parse data
> column in addition to "text". It would contain the parsed object.
> Otherwise, to use the table, one is often reparsing the text, which
> just seems redundant and inconvenient.

Can you (both Jim and Michael) describe the uses you might have for
this?  There are lots of possible changes that could make this
information available:

  - attach to each item in the parse tree, as the parser package did.
(Bad idea for general use which is why I dropped it, but
it could be done as a special option to parse, if you aren't planning to
evaluate the expression.)
  - give the index into the parse tree of each item, i.e. c(1,1),
c(1,2), c(1,3) in the example below, or just 1,2,3 along with a function
to reconstruct the full path.
  - give a copy of the branch of the parse tree, as Michael suggests.

etc.  Which is best for your purposes?

Duncan Murdoch