[Rd] Compiling 64bit static library for Windows (Rtools33, MSYS2, cross-compile on linux)

Sue McDonald sudomeme at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 00:49:29 CEST 2015

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I was finally able to get everything to work using msys + Rtools-gcc-4.6.3.
I could be wrong, but it seems that a complete 32+64 bit R-must be
installed to get a 64bit static library compiled.

MSYS while not as complete as MSYS2 does provide a shell that is identical
to linux.  The structure of Rtools-gcc with 'multilib'  is somewhat
confusing as compared to other current "mingw64" downloads, including
MSYS2.  It must be a Herculean task to ensure that 'things-just-work' for
all 4000+ packages -  with every new version!  I understand that Rtools
must control the entire process. I am grateful for all the work that goes
into it. That said, it would be nice, if Rtools could be packaged more like
MSYS2 - which after-all has very similar goals that apply to any linux
package.

Thanks again, SM

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]