[Rd] Why doesn't R have a float data type?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 30 19:35:20 CEST 2015

You said it:

'it would require a large amount of work'

and not just for R but also for many packages that users would expect to
support data in that format.

By the time R started to spread (late 90s), most FPUs were primarily
double/extended precision and there was little or no speed advantage to
single-precision calculations.  And although S[-PLUS] had a 'single'
type, we knew it was little used by then.

For a few people the storage size may matter (and for others the 32-bit
logicals are wasteful): although for most people RAM is cheap enough,
there are packages such as 'ff' which address this.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK