[Rd] R-devel does not update the C++ returned variables

sarah manderni sarahmanderni at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:50:00 CET 2015

Hi,

Within my R code, I am using a C++ function as below:

     overlaps <- matrix(0, nrow=B, ncol=length(N))
        overlaps.P <- matrix(0, nrow=B, ncol=length(N))

       .C("speedUp", D, S, pD, pS, nrow(D), as.integer(N), length(N),
           ssq[i], i, as.integer(B), overlaps, overlaps.P, DUP=FALSE)

the function "speedUp", is supposed to update matrices overlaps and
 overlaps.P and it works with official R versions.
However, using the same code in R-devel, it does not update matrices and
they remain all zero without returning any errors.
But, if I store the return values from C function in a variable lets say
"test" as follows:

test <-        .C("speedUp", D, S, pD, pS, nrow(D), as.integer(N),
length(N),
           ssq[i], i, as.integer(B), overlaps, overlaps.P, DUP=FALSE)

then the corresponding element of test to matrix "overlaps"
(test[["overlaps"]]) again has the updated values (correct non-zero values)
though the overlaps matrix itself is still empty.

I mean in official R, the "overlaps" matrix is updated after calling the
function but not in R-devel. Also it works in both environment and return
correct values to variable "test" in R-devel as well.
Did you face any similar problem so that R-devel does not update the
variable returned by C++?

Thanks for the help.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]