[Rd] [R] Why does R replace all row values with NAs

Martin Maechler maechler at lynne.stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 3 11:28:44 CET 2015

Diverted from R-help :
.... as it gets into musing about new R language "primitives"

    > You could define functions like

    > is.true <- function(x) !is.na(x) & x
    > is.false <- function(x) !is.na(x) & !x

    > and use them in your selections.  E.g.,
    >> x <- data.frame(a=1:10,b=2:11,c=c(1,NA,3,NA,5,NA,7,NA,NA,10))
    >> x[is.true(x$c >= 6), ]
    > a  b  c
    > 7   7  8  7
    > 10 10 11 10

    > Bill Dunlap
    > TIBCO Software
    > wdunlap tibco.com

Yes; the Matrix package has had these

is0  <- function(x) !is.na(x) & x == 0
isN0 <- function(x)  is.na(x) | x != 0
is1  <- function(x) !is.na(x) & x   # also == "isTRUE componentwise"

namespace hidden for a while  [note the comment of the last one!]
and using them for readibility in its own code.

Maybe we should (again) consider providing some versions of
these with R ?

The Matrix package also has had fast

allFalse <- all0 <- function(x) .Call(R_all0, x)
anyFalse <- any0 <- function(x) .Call(R_any0, x)
##
## anyFalse <- function(x) isTRUE(any(!x))		 ## ~= any0
## any0 <- function(x) isTRUE(any(x == 0))	      ## ~= anyFalse

namespace hidden as well, already, which probably could also be
brought to base R.

One big reason to *not* go there (to internal C code) at all with R is that
S3 and S4 dispatch for '==' ('!=', etc, the 'Compare' group generics)
and 'is.na() have been known and package writers have
programmed methods for these.
To ensure that S3 and S4 dispatch works "correctly" also inside
such new internals is much less easily achieved, and so
such a C-based internal function  is0() would no longer be
equivalent with    !is.na(x) & x == 0
as soon as 'x' is an "object" with a '==', 'Compare' and/or an is.na() method.

OTOH, simple R versions such as your  'is.true',  called 'is1'
inside Matrix maybe optimizable a bit by the byte compiler (and
jit and other such tricks) and still keep the full
semantic including correct method dispatch.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich