[Rd] nonlinear least square

Evans Otieno Ochiaga evansochiaga at aims.ac.za
Wed Mar 4 14:01:23 CET 2015

Hi to all,

Is there a way we can fit a non linear model to a data using non linear
least square method without necessarily initialising the parameters of the
model. I find it hard to get the initial value of the parameter. Below is a
sample of the code I have.

*nachman<-nls(OARmedium$OCCUPANCY~1exp(-alpha*OARmedium$MEAN^beta),start=list(alpha=0.2,beta=0.1),data=OARmedium)summary(nachman)*
Thanks,

*Evans Ochiaga*

*African Institute for Mathematical Sciences*

*6 Melrose Road*

*Muizenberg, South Africa*

*Msc in Mathematical Sciences+27 84 61 69 183 *

*"When I cannot understand my Father’s leading, And it seems to be but hard
and cruel fate, Still I hear that gentle whisper ever pleading, God is
working, God is faithful—Only wait."*

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]