[Rd] R with Array Hashes

Jeffrey Horner jeffrey.horner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 17:03:09 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Nice writeup and promising idea.  From the "gimme numbers" department:
>
>  - do you pass the R regression tests?

I made sure that the implementation passed 99% of the tests, however
there were two that gave differing results which I think are related
to traversing hashed environments.

I wrote up some notes on the benchmark I conducted here:

https://github.com/jeffreyhorner/R-Array-Hash/tree/master/benchmarks

> When you asked about benchmark code on Twitter, I shared the somewhat
> well-known (but no R ...) http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/
> Did you write new benchmarks?  Did you try the ones once assembled by Simon?

I decided to design the benchmark very close to the one I found in:

Askitis, Nikolas, and Justin Zobel. "Redesigning the string hash
table, burst trie, and bst to exploit cache." Journal of Experimental
Algorithmics (JEA) 15 (2010): 1-7.

Its a synthetic benchmark that just measures aspects of constructing
and searching an R environment.