[Rd] Notes on building a gcc toolchain for Rtools (but not multilib)

Avraham Adler avraham.adler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 04:33:08 CET 2015

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 10:02 PM, Hsiu-Khuern Tang <tangoh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [This is a follow-up to the "New version of Rtools for Windows" thread
> in January, but I just subscribed and don't know how to reply to an
> old thread -- my apologies.]
>
> I was able to use the nuwen distro to build a gcc 4.9.2 toolchain and
> use it to build the latest R-patched with it.
>
> Below are some notes about what I did; I hope they will be useful for
> keeping Rtools up-to-date.
>

> Note:
>
> - This is 64-bit only; I tried but was unable to create a multilib toolchain
>
> - I did not run any tests on the resulting R binary, other than
> starting R and running some basic commands
>
> - I don't necessarily know what I'm doing!

Thank you for the  update, Hsiu-Khuern. Can you check how many digits
scientific notation shows? I was able to build a 64bit version of R
using the mingw64 4.8.4 distro, but ran into trouble with compat.c,
and the only work-around I found ended breaking R's defualt two digit
notation and used Windows's three-digit notation; it seems as if you
did not have this problem. Also, do you plan on running 'make check'
eventually on your build?

Avi