[Rd] Possible values for R version status

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 15:39:57 CET 2015

On 23 Mar 2015, at 14:36 , Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/03/2015 9:17 AM, Richard Cotton wrote:
>> Is there a complete list somewhere of the possible values for R's
>> status, as returned by version$status?
>>
>> I know about these values:
>> Stable: ""
>> Devel: "Under development (unstable)"
>> Patched: "Patched"
>> Release candidate: "RC"
>> Alpha: "Alpha"
>
> I don't think we use "Alpha", I think it's lowercase.  There is also "beta".  You can see the list at http://developer.r-project.org/release-checklist.html, in the lines that describe the version being set.

Yep. The transition cycle on the SVN release branch goes

alpha -> beta -> RC -> "" -> Patched

and the SVN trunk is permanently

"Under development (unstable)"

Notice that the empty string is used for _official releases_. I wouldn't know in what sense "Stable" would apply to those, but they are typically the ones that 3rd party developers like Linux distributions would pick up and ship.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com