[Rd] vignette checking woes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 20:45:34 CET 2015

On 25/03/2015 2:59 PM, Roger Koenker wrote:
> I'm having trouble with R CMD check of my quantreg package.  All is well
> until I get to:
>
> checking running R code from vignettes ...
>     ‘rq.Rnw’ ... failed
>   ERROR
> Errors in running code in vignettes:
> when running code in ‘rq.Rnw’
>
> when I see a snippet from the vignette code and then:

>    When sourcing ‘rq.R’:
> Error: could not find function "sparse.model.matrix"
> Execution halted
>
> This is baffling to me since sparse.model.matrix is in the
> namespace of Matrix and it should be loaded at this stage
> since it is required by MatrixModels which has just been
> pronounced "loaded".
>
> I've verified that I can Sweave("rq.Rnw")
> and texi2pdf("rq.tex", clean=TRUE) without any problem.
>
> Any hints greatly appreciated, as always.

This could happen if you load the namespace of MatrixModels (e.g. by
using :: notation), but don't put it on your search path (e.g. by using
library(MatrixModels)).

When you run Sweave from within R, it sees the search path that was
active when you called Sweave; when checking a vignette, it starts with
a clean slate.

Duncan Murdoch