[Rd] nested parallel workers

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fredhutch.org
Mon Mar 30 22:40:07 CEST 2015

On 03/25/2015 07:48 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2015, at 3:46 PM, Valerie Obenchain <vobencha at fredhutch.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> I'm having trouble with nested parallel workers, specifically, forking inside socket connections.
>>

> You simply can't by definition - when you fork *all* the workers share the same connection inherited from the parent, so you cannot use any I/O operations that you didn't start in the worker since reading in one worker affects all the workers.

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here -
I thought since the fork workers were shut down by the time the SOCK
worker returned to its master conflicting I/O wouldn't be a problem.

There are quite a few examples floating around where SOCK workers are
spawned on a cluster and multicore workers are called within them. If I
understand correctly this should not be done (or at least not
encouraged). Instead, nested parallel should only be done with
distributed memory workers, SOCK, MPI etc.

Thanks.
Valerie