[Rd] R CMD check and missing imports from base packages

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Sat May 2 01:24:04 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 3:44 AM, Martin Maechler <
maechler at lynne.stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
[...]

> If I have understood your main point correctly, you are
> suggesting that  'R CMD check' should start putting out a NOTE
> when package code calls a function from one of a set of
> "standard packages" (*) and the package author failed to use an
>         importFrom(<standard pkg>, <function>)
> in his/her NAMESPACE.

Yes, correct.

I agree that this would be useful.
> Actually, I think we have something like this in place already...
> but maybe not strictly enough (?)

It is in place for non-standard packages. But not for the standard ones.
This code
calls a function from all base packages that are loaded by default:
https://github.com/gaborcsardi/baseimports/blob/master/R/baseimports.R#L11
and it generates these checks on R-release and R-devel, both without NOTEs
or WARNINGs:
https://travis-ci.org/gaborcsardi/baseimports/jobs/60903983
https://travis-ci.org/gaborcsardi/baseimports/jobs/60903984

Gabor

> (*) IIUC, you suggested to use
>    "standard packages" := packages which are attached by default
>    in R, apart from package 'base' because that does come
>    immediately after the imports anyway (and because you cannot
>    explicity import from base).
>

> Martin Maechler
> ETH Zurich

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]