[Rd] Problem with adding slots to S4 object

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Mon May 4 17:10:30 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I'm trying to create a virtual S4 class with some subclasses. I noticed
that adding slots to this class increases the memory use and slows the
functions down. Note that I'm adding very small slots (integer or character
both of length 1).

I've made a reproducible example at
https://github.com/ThierryO/testvirtualclass. The R CMD check --as-cran
fails on the tests.

Some of the output of R CMD check

* using R version 3.2.0 (2015-04-16)
* using platform: i386-w64-mingw32 (32-bit)
* using session charset: ISO8859-1
* using option '--as-cran'
* checking tests ...
  Running 'testthat.R' [125s]
 ERROR
Running the tests in 'tests/testthat.R' failed.
Last 13 lines of output:
  Execution halted
  Error: C stack usage  16583636 is too close to the limit

at that point R crashes and uses about 3.7 GB RAM

Any ideas on what is going wrong? Am I using the virual classes in the
wrong way?

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest