[Rd] Shouldn't vector indexing with negative out-of-range index give an error?

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Wed May 6 19:53:27 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 05/06/2015 09:04 AM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

>>      > When someone suggests that we "might have had a reason" for some peculiarity in the original S, my usual reaction is "Or else we never thought of the problem".
>>      > In this case, however, there is a relevant statement in the 1988 "blue book".  In the discussion of subscripting (p 358) the definition for negative i says: "the indices consist of the elements of seq(along=x) that do not match any elements in -i".
>>
>>      > Suggesting that no bounds checking on -i takes place.
>>
>>      > John
>>
>> Indeed!
>> Thanks a lot John, for the perspective and clarification!
>>
>> I'm committing a patch to the documentation now.
>
> Thank you both and also credits to Dongcan Jiang for pointing out to
> me that errors were indeed not generated in this case.
>
> I agree with the decision. It's interesting to notice that now the
> only way an error is generated is when index-vector subsetting is done
> using mixed positive and negative indices, e.g. x[c(-1,1)].

This is why in situations where I need to extract a single element from
an atomic vector I use [[ instead of [. It's safer (performs
bound-checking), a little bit faster (at least last time I checked), and
drops the name of the element.

BTW did you know that one can use a negative index with [[ on a
vector of length 2?

   > c(a=2, b=6)[[-1]]
   [1] 6
   > c(a=2, b=6)[[-2]]
   [1] 2
   > list(a=22, b=6:5)[[-1]]
   [1] 6 5
   > list(a=22, b=6:5)[[-2]]
   [1] 22
   > list(a=22, b=6:5)[[c(-1, -2)]]
   [1] 6
   > list(a=22, b=6:5)[[c(-1, -1)]]

Also works with [[<-:

   > x <- list(a=22, b=6:5)
   > x[[c(-1, -2)]] <- 99L
   $a
   [1] 22

   $b
   [1] 99  5

Not that I ever needed that "feature" though...

Cheers,
H.

> [...]
>>      >>> (haven't check earlier versions).
>>      >>
>>      >> Thank you, Henrik!
>>      >>
>>      >> I've checked further back: The change happened between R 2.5.1 and R 2.6.0.
>>      >>
>>      >> The previous behavior was
>>      >>
>>      >>> (1:3)[-(3:5)]
>>      >> Error: subscript out of bounds
>>      >>
>>      >> If you start reading NEWS.2, you see a *lot* of new features
>>      >> (and bug fixes) in the 2.6.0 news, but from my browsing, none of
>>      >> them mentioned the new behavior as feature.
>>      >>
>>      >> Let's -- for a moment -- declare it a bug in the code, i.e., not
>>      >> in the documentation:
>>      >>
>>      >> - As 2.6.0  happened quite a while ago (Oct. 2007),
>>      >> we could wonder how much R code will break if we fix the bug.
>>      >>
>>      >> - Is the R package authors' community willing to do the necessary
>>      >> cleanup in their packages ?
>>      >>
>>      >> ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
>>      >>
>>      >>
>>      >> Now, after reading the source code for a while, and looking at
>>      >> the changes, I've found the log entry
>>      >>
>>      >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>      >> r42123 | ihaka | 2007-07-05 02:00:05 +0200 (Thu, 05 Jul 2007) | 4 lines
>>      >>
>>      >> Changed the behaviour of out-of-bounds negative
>>      >> subscripts to match that of S.  Such values are
>>      >> now ignored rather than tripping an error.
>>      >>
>>      >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>      >>
>>      >> So, it was changed on purpose, by one of the true "R"s, very
>>      >> much on purpose.
>>      >>
>>      >> Making it a *warning* instead of the original error
>>      >> may have been both more cautious and more helpful for
>>      >> detecting programming errors.
>>      >>
>>      >> OTOH, John Chambers, the father of S and hence grandfather of R,
>>      >> may have had good reasons why it seemed more logical to silently
>>      >> ignore such out of bound negative indices:
>>      >> One could argue that
>>      >>
>>      >> x[-5]  means  "leave away the 5-th element of x"
>>      >>
>>      >> and if there is no 5-th element of x, leaving it away should be a no-op.
>>      >>
>>      >> After all this musing and history detection, my gut decision
>>      >> would be to only change the documentation which Ross forgot to change.
>>      >>
>>      >> But of course, it may be interesting to hear other programmeR's feedback on this.

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center