[Rd] Why is the diag function so slow (for extraction)?

Steve Bronder sbronder at stevebronder.com
Thu May 7 17:49:49 CEST 2015

Is it possible to replace c() with .subset()? Example below

####
####

library(microbenchmark)

diag2 <- function(x,nrow, ncol){
  if (is.matrix(x)) {
    if (nargs() > 1L)
      stop("'nrow' or 'ncol' cannot be specified when 'x' is a matrix")
    if ((m <- min(dim(x))) == 0L)
      return(vector(typeof(x), 0L))
    # replace this part
    y <- .subset(x,1 + 0L:(m - 1L) * (dim(x)[1L] + 1))
    nms <- dimnames(x)
    if (is.list(nms) && !any(sapply(nms, is.null)) && identical((nm <-
nms[[1L]][seq_len(m)]),

nms[[2L]][seq_len(m)]))
      names(y) <- nm
    return(y)
  }
  if (is.array(x) && length(dim(x)) != 1L)
    stop("'x' is an array, but not one-dimensional.")
  if (missing(x))
    n <- nrow
  else if (length(x) == 1L && nargs() == 1L) {
    n <- as.integer(x)
    x <- 1
  }
  else n <- length(x)
  if (!missing(nrow))
    n <- nrow
  if (missing(ncol))
    ncol <- n
}

nc  <- 10

set.seed(1)
m <- matrix(sample(letters,nc^2,replace=TRUE), ncol = nc)

runoff <- microbenchmark(
  diaga = diag(m),
  diagb = diag2(m)
)