[Rd] S4 method dispatch sometimes leads to incorrect when object loaded from file?

Martin Maechler maechler at lynne.stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 12 14:31:11 CEST 2015

    > On 05/10/2015 08:19 AM, Martin Morgan wrote:
    >> the example below and actual example involves a virtual base class and the show
    >> generic) leads to incorrect dispatch (to the base class method).

"Of course", this is not as desired.

Other code automatically does try and typically succeed to load the package
(yes "package" ! ;-)) when 'needed', right,  so  show() is an
exception here, no ?

    >> The attached package reproduces the problem. It has

    > The package was attached but stripped; a version is at

    > https://github.com/mtmorgan/PkgA

    > FWIW the sent mail was a multi-part MIME with the header on the package part

    > From http://www.r-project.org/mail.html#instructions "we allow application/pdf,
    > application/postscript, and image/png (and x-tar and gzip on R-devel)" so I
    > thought that this mime type would not be stripped?

You were alright in your assumptions -- but unfortunately, the
accepted type has been  application/x-gzip instead of .../gzip.
I now *have* added the 2nd one as well.

Sorry for that.
The other Martin M..